I used to have a friend named Sheena, and she was a fucking bitch. I met Sheena my junior year after transferring from one local high school to the other. I walked into my new economics class wearing ripped jeans, my favorite flannel that was a patchwork of different flannels and knock off doc martins. I was seated next to a girl wearing a cream colored shirt with cream colored tapered leg jeans and a vest that looked like it was made out of my grandma's couch. My hair was long, blonde and straight while hers was permed and curly and doused in product. She immediately became my friend. She was nice to me and I was friends with anyone who was nice to me.
It turned out that Sheena lived just a couple blocks from me, but it was far enough that it crossed the dividing line between the two high schools which zigged zagged around the area I grew up in and which is why we hadn't met before now. Sheena would come over once a week or so to see if I wanted to go on a walk with her. Her mom was very strict and she was never allowed to hang out at her friend's houses, but was allowed to roam the neighborhood with me for thirty minutes every once in awhile. Or at least that's what Sheena told me.
I visited Sheena's house several times. Her mom smoked inside the house (gasp!) and looked hard core. Almost always dressed in all black with at least one item made of leather, she had bleach blonde hair sprayed higher than Sheena and leathery tanned skin that had been properly baked in a tanning salon. Her fake nails were long and neon and she wore black liquid eyeliner all the way around her eyes. She looked like what my mom would call a "biker chick" and she scared the hell out of me. It was clear that Sheena worshipped her mother.
Sheena's mom, Medusa, had a female roommate named Calico. Calico was a mechanic at a local body shop. Her hands were rough and always had grease stuck under the nails. She wore dirty jeans and t-shirts with no makeup and messy hair and almost always had bruises on her face and arms. Medusa was always telling stories about the fights they got in at bars which accounted for the bruising on Calico. Medusa always made herself sound like the hero in her stories, but that was clearly bullshit since Calico was always the one with the battle scars. However, Calico seemed shy, quiet and nice and it was hard to see her provoking a fight. Perhaps (I thought) Medusa started shit and Calico defended her. Who knows what kind of crazy shit went down in those biker bars.
It didn't take me long to figure out that Calico and Medusa were, in fact, a couple. Sheena's grandma also lived in the house. Sheena told me that her grandma and mother shared a room, however, her grandma was constantly in the room that supposedly belonged to Calico while Calico was constantly in the shared room with Medusa. I would later find out that Sheena was forced by guilt and shame to keep her mom's secret and when four years later she finally came out and told all her friends that her mom was indeed gay, we all laughed at her and said "I know." Sheena was shocked that we had all known and had still remained her friend.
Because Sheena would not have extended the same courtesy to any one of us.
Sheena was a bitch.
No comments:
Post a Comment